With the continued presence of the H1N1 virus … swine flu … the following are a few “common sense” things you should do to avoid contracting it … and more … these guidelines are condensed from the recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control and the Virginia Department of Health …
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hand cleaners are also effective.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread this way.
- Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
- Stay home when ill with influenza-like symptoms, including fever, body aches, runny or stuffy nose, sore throat, nausea, or vomiting or diarrhea, and avoid contact with other people.